Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

SQUARE NAUGHTS!



I just completed this improvisationally pieced quilt.  
It began life with a grey background but that just didn't do anything for it, or me.  
I usually love white or grey backgrounds that let the shapes and colors of a quilt really sing.  
Not this time!   
This mauve Robert Kaufman Quilter's Linen proved to be the best choice for the other fabrics in the "ribbons" to assert themselves.


These ribbon blocks are the COMPLETE opposite of being improvisationally cut - all done on an Accuquilt die.

Thus: 
an improvisationally pieced quilt 
of non-improvisationally cut pieces!

As it began to take shape the square knots looked more and more like zeros to me - hence the Square Naughts name.

This process was fun; unwieldy at times seeing where the ribbons and knots took me BUT an interesting composition, I think, evolved!

The lovely wavy-lined quilting really accentuates the hard edges of the ribbons.  Once again a huge thanks to Jennifer McClanahan of Jenn's Quilting for seeing my vision and creating the reality with her long-arm machine.

4 comments:

  1. It's another lovely quilt, Heather! I find it easy to look at for long periods with all of the unexpected movement. I think it's a quilt that will have continued interest wherever it hangs or rests. Great job. I love the background color with your triangle hues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the unexpected abrupt stops. Especially the ones your eye expected to follow off the edge. As someone who had the pleasure of seeing and touching this quilt in person, I can attest that it is absolutely dreamy. The quilting makes it move like a fluid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gayle! Only Jennifer can take credit for the quilting.

      Delete

I do love to hear your thoughts, and know others will too.
I look forward to reading YOUR comment!